Monday, May 4, 2009

Old friends

With all of the new technologies at our disposal and the invention of social internet sites such as Facebook and Twitter, we have opened ourselves up to a whole new world of networking and meeting up with people who we lost contact with oh so many years ago and are now "Friending" us at every corner.

Now, I must say, I've been one of the more conservative friend acceptors around compared to others who have hundreds and am not generally afraid to ignore a friend request from some chick who I thought was exceptionally dull at school and is quite likely still just as flipping dull now or a guy who played not only in the first rugby team, but also all the gullible girlies who thought that he loved them... There are more, but are simply not even worth the mention.

But now and again you get a friend request from  someone who's memory brings a smile to your face and a chuckle to your heart when you conjure up the fond memories of getting up to mischief together and recently I had just that request from a lovely girl, The Artist. Finally, after not seeing each other for about 12 years, we finally met up again yesterday after she contacted me and we established that we only live about 30 minutes from each other.

I must say, I wouldn't have recognised her if I passed her in the street, but thought she looked great. We spent the afternoon reminiscing about our school days and people we knew then. It makes you think how you've come along in life and what you've done with the time that has passed and with everything else that's happening in my life right now gave me a lot to reflect on. 

I wonder how she sees me now and how it compares with the person she knew then. At the time I was dating a guy, Psycho Boyfriend, who had a major effect on me (as can easily happen at the age of 17). 

Anyway, as for the pneumonia, I'm still not on form at all, so have decided to call in sick today and get the necessary rest. I think I'm going to do a little bit of writing in bed today and get my head straight again. Of course, the important conversation I was due to have with STBEH never happened as I simply didn't have the physical strength for it, but it is imminent, so I'll be keeping you up to date. 

Of course, my self-appointed personal male nurse is still at it and I actually asked him last night why he was being so nice to me? He didn't reply, but we all know the answer to that one already, don't we?! 

On that note, let me get my arse back into bed and keep warm. I'm really annoyed that he has the TV in his bedroom on days like this!

Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment