Thursday, July 2, 2009

The neighbors on Wisteria Lane

How could I possibly ignore the request from one of my readers (see comment on post below) to share the intrigue and dramas from Wisteria Lane. This reader impressed me immensely by correctly guessing that a certain neighbor was involved in the other comments from the previous post. Hats off!!

Anyway, I've enjoyed living here. It's great for the kids, who come and go through unlocked front doors and play in the streets on their bikes all day long - just the way we used to do back in the day.

There's an interesting mix of people who live here though, from retired doctors to professionals, the gay dentist and lovely lesbian couple, ex Springbok and single mom with all her kids, along with the quiet black family and then the people who just make you ask: "How the hell did you ever get here?" Wisteria Lane sure has it all.

With it being a small estate, everyone knows everyone and though this can be nice, it can also be a real pain in the arse, especially when everyone also knows your business. Any gossip travels like wild fire and with that always comes the little tail added at the end.

Overall this is a very peaceful little community. Fortunately there's few people who I don't get on with or dislike and I know the feeling is mutual. There are, of course, one or two couples who just get EVERYONE's backs up and as you might guess, a certain neighbor falls smack bang into that category, which merely makes it all the more laughable - and boy have we been laughing!

I must admit I'll really miss living here once the house sells. Apart from it being a great home, the people (well, most of them) are great and the kids love being able to play outside with the other children all day long, but I know that I will be happy wherever I may go, because it is one's attitude that matters at the end of the day. Believe you'll be happy and that is indeed how it will be.

Should I move to another complex from here, there will no doubt be another arsehole to deal with, but the best way of dealing with these types of people are to avoid them altogether. It's like any office setup, there's always some fishwife or nob who goes out of their way to make the other employees' lives difficult.

I'll never forget what one of the housewives always used to say: "Complex living is complex".

Madge

13 comments:

  1. One constant theme in your blog, as you have confirmed so many times, is the ease with which you are able to eliminate people from your life when things go wrong. What a sad trait in my view. It seems to me that in your search for perfection with your own life you are judging others around you harshly. The easy option is to blame others when things are not going well for you. You need to do some inner searching to see how you can turn your life around.. It is far easier to point out flaws in other people than to recognize your own. The more you demand perfection from others the more unhappy you will be in life. Maybe you are afraid to focus on yourself as you are afraid of what you will find. If you truly love people in your life you do not demand perfection from them. You want people to change so that your imperfection can tolerate them. What you find unlovable in other people is an inability on your part to love them well. Accepting human failure is the key to your own happiness.
    Turning your back on the things in life that you don’t like is not the answer. The key to perfection is understanding your own imperfections. The perfect world is perfectly imperfect and when you understand that you will be happy with life. So all the people in Wisteria Lane and at home are not perfect but only because of your own imperfections in judging them. The key to happiness is surrounding yourself with people and accepting them for what they are without judging. I feel sad for you.
    You can never be happy until you realise this, it will be an endless search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very fair comment indeed except with regards to an ongoing theme where I eliminate people from my life. This is definitely not something I go on about and I have to disagree with that statement.

    I will however take on board what you have to say and appreciate your comment.

    Lastly, the key to happiness is surrounding yourself with people who enrich your life rather than those who CONTINUALLY drag you down.

    I accept that everyone has flaws, including myself, but with this I refuse to live an unhappy life due to wrong decisions in the people I surround myself with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog, most entertaining! Can't wait to 'read' about your selfdestruction! By the way, shouldn't you be blaming your own wrong decisions? Selfrightiousness isn't very becoming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha Ha Ha.OH BOY, YES MOST ENTERTAINING INDEED OLD CHAP. HELL WILL FREEZE OVER BEFORE I LET MY WIFE WALK AWAY WITH HALF I OWN. STBEW SOUNDS LIKE A STIKLER FOR A FIGHT, I DARE SAY! BLOODY COLD TODAY, BUT NOT AS COLD AS THE SOAPIE HOUSE FROM HELL. LOVE TO HEAR STBEH'S SIDE OF THE STORY THOUGH...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, let stbeh comment plse. Love to read hs take on all the wrong decisions SHE did'nt make.love your blog.its good sht.

    ReplyDelete
  6. is ths fr real? 1 mns kan tog ni soveel kk uitdink nie? Blaming the people around you for their bad decisions? nou't ek als ghoor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you can't change anyone except yourself honey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. God, all these people with "good" advice! Who's selfrighteous now hey?! Since when are people who spend their time on the internet critiquing others' blogs experts in life matters??! And if you all know the secret to eternal happiness, WTF are you doing slagging somebody off online - Everyone's entitled to their opinion but if you're gonna give one, try and make it informed and intelligent...And practice what you preach...Better still, don't bloody preach! People who preach are generally the ones with the issues - who needs to take a look at themselves before judging others hey?! All you're all doing with your posts is judging!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great watching this train wreck unfold. If I were STBEH I would take the gap and run.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ogh come now, well judge as long as stbew is feeding us the evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ja julle ouens. Al wat sy die laaste paar maande gedoen het is bitch oor haar man en haar bure. get a life. Bure is nie daar om jou maatjies te wees nie.Talk about judging. She's the most judgemental person i've come across

    ReplyDelete
  12. GO TO BED MOTHER THERESA,LET THE BIG BOYS HANDLE THIS. WE'LL JUDGE AS LONG AS STBEW KEEPS FEEDING US THE INCRIMINATING EVIDENCE.LIKE THE LADY SAID:ITS BETTER THAN TELLI SOAPIES!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blimey, even I'm finding this entertaining! What's most entertaining of all is that many of these posts (even when they're in different languages) come from the same ISP.

    It helps to have worked in the internet world and with the help of a good techy friend, one can search these things even when someone posts anonymously.

    Something I'd like to point out though is that I was actually referring to my own mistakes and not those of others, so perhaps if you read my post again, you'll notice that I'm pointing the finger to myself, however there will always be those who seek out the negative in things.

    I was very sincere and accepted this person's comments. Thanks Andre for your comment too, I don't want to change people and realise that this is an unfair and impossible thing to do, which is why I'm not pushing for STBEH to change (anymore), but rather for him to live his life the way he wants to without making mine a misery along the way.

    I'm sure you've heard of the saying, 'Birds of a feather flock together'. Would you like to be associated with people who don't share the same values in life as you, who are constantly negative in their outlook and forever leach on you for their own personal growth? Well, it's your decision as to whether to let these people into your life. I simply choose not to, is that such a sin??

    ReplyDelete