Friday, July 3, 2009

A letter

Dear husband,

We've been together for seven years and there have been many good times. I remember meeting you that Sunday afternoon in Covent Garden. You made me blush within minutes of meeting me and we chatted all afternoon. I had a lovely sms from you the next morning and soon after we started dating.

I remember the time I flew back from New York and, although it was late already, I drove straight to your place. You opened a bottle of champagne and we stood on the terrace. Soon after, I moved in with you. Gave all of my furniture to your sister and it was the beginning of the rest of our lives together.

You had a major trust issue given what had happened in your past and I made it my mission to prove to you that you could indeed trust me. I refused to marry you until you were sure that you trusted me 110%.

Two years later we were married in the most beautiful ceremony on a stunning wine farm in Stellenbosch. Family and friends from the UK joined us on this occasion and it was one of the happiest days of my life.

I married a man who made me laugh and made me feel whole and appreciated, who my family and other people liked and a man who had pride. No one ever noticed the vast age difference between us, least of all did we.

Five months later I found out that I was pregnant. I think you were shocked at first, but came round soon enough. You started smoking, but promised to stop once the baby was born. That baby is now four years old - you're still smoking after several such promises...

Times were always tough financially due to you working freelance. My salary would merely cover the basics and on a few occasions I even paid the maintenance due to your ex wife to keep the wolves at bay and took out loans in my name as your credit rating was shot. I never held any of this against you. I did it with love and never gave you a hard time about this and whenever you became depressed I always supported you rather than argue. I supported you 100%! I worked until the day our son was born and started working 4 weeks after his birth - I had to.

I've also had my time of being depressed, I suffered with post-natal depression when our son was born and was in a very bad place. You supported me through this and I was grateful for it.

Then we decided to move to South Africa, to have a better life. If we sold our property in London, we'd be able to afford a large place in a secure environment where we could raise our children in the sun. We wouldn't need as much money to survive and would have a much better quality of life.

Shortly before moving, I fell pregnant again with our little girl. I came over first as you had a great contract and it was better for you to stay behind to finalise matters at the UK end, while I house hunted here and set things up for our new life together.

I went out of my way to set up a good home for you and the kids, to make sure that everything was perfect. I didn't have any friends here, but made an effort to meet people and when I found that I connected with someone, I endeavored to contact them and build friendships.

You tried hard to get work here, but it has been very difficult - it still is. You had to go back to London for months at a time to earn money to take care of us as I was pregnant and couldn't get a job at the time. It was hard for you and for us to not have you around, but you did what you could. You became inward looking and selfish and you no longer made me laugh. It wasn't about 'us' anymore, but you.

I know you loved me, but as time went by the affection faded and became almost non-existent. On several occasions I asked you for some love and romance. Whenever I asked you for a cuddle, you'd merely lift your arm and I'd have to sidle closer upon which you's simply drape your arm down on my shoulder. This was your idea of a cuddle. I'd ask for some romance - it doesn't cost a thing, but it never came my way.

You never arranged anything. Slowly, as time went by it was all down to me to organise the household, take care of the kids, pay the bills, go to work full time and ensure we have a social life. I even ended up trying to make friends for you as you had still not made any of your own friends, but you weren't interested.

I tried to tell you that I was unhappy, that I wanted you to make an effort - many times. You heard me, but you never listened. You would make an effort for a week or two and then soon slipped back into your complacent way, accepting that I would just carry on.

Even your lovemaking was selfish. When I suggested that you gave me a massage to 'get me in the mood' you were all positive and excited that it was such a simple thing to do, yet the massages never happened. All through this I never turned you down even when there was nothing in it for me and on several occasions I would have tears running down my cheeks while you were having your way. You never even noticed.

So complacent were you that when I gave you the option to see a marriage counsellor or get a divorce your reply was: "I'm not seeing a marriage counsellor, it's not worth it". Could you still not see how fed-up I was?? Is this what my marriage had come to? I realised then that I deserved more.

I was a loyal wife who adored you. I would've gone to the end of the earth for you, but apparently I was not worth trying for. My love for you began to wane and when you came up with the suggestion of a Female Led Relationship after Googling the web, I was flummoxed. This was your idea of saving our marriage? I want a man to be my partner and equal. I was already in charge of EVERYTHING. Could you not see that this was exactly what I DIDN'T want? Again, it was about what you wanted.

So, you went to work in London again and I had the necessary head space to realise that our marriage was over and that I would indeed be better off on my own. The kids were happier because daddy wasn't hanging around shouting and being grumpy and I was much more relaxed and happier too. My mind was made up.

It has been a painful process for me. I've been angry and sad, but I've made my peace with the situation. Now I simply want to move on. I don't want to be nasty to you, you don't deserve it and neither do I. I just want you to realise and accept that the fairy tale has come to an end. I don't know whether I'll love someone like I loved you again. I must admit, I'll go into any relationship being very guarded about my emotions. In fact, I can't really imagine having a relationship at this point or in the near future. Right now my concern is about taking care of the kids and ensuring that they are happy and have a smooth transition.

My wish for you is that you will learn from this experience. This is not the first time you've gone through a divorce and your previous marriage ended for similar reasons. You're a good man and you have a lot to give, I know you do. You never smacked me about, you aren't a big drinker and don't filander about, but you have to make these changes for yourself, so you can end up being a happier person in yourself.

I will always love you for who you are.

M

7 comments:

  1. Geez, I hope you guys work this out - for better or worse. Sad.

    Sterkte!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post casts a different reflection on the rest from the rest of your blog. It sounds as though there is more good stuff than bad in your relationship and perhaps some counselling would not go amiss. As Andrew said for better for worse etc.. these things make you stronger. I wish STBEH would put his side of the story on here so we could get his take on things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not agree with Corika. Clearly you have loved him and he will always have a place in your heart, but your relationship is not what it was. You will never have the respect for him that you used to have, as he destroyed your marriage by not caring, by not compromising and by not being there (emotionally) for you. Perhaps counseling would have helped two or three years ago, but I think it is too late for that now. You can still have him in your life as a friend and he will always be the father of your children, but he is not "husband material".

    All the best, I hope he will make an effort to understand what you are going through and to make this as painless as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. please, still dishing her dirty washing out on a blog, for all strangers to see. pathetic. so needy of stbew to need strangers to pat her on the back saying " you're right Madgy, go for it Madgy!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous: If you can't even leave your name when commenting, then why don't you just keep your comments to yourself? She isn't forcing people to read her blog. They choose to read it. If it upsets you so much, then stop reading it. I'm not saying I agree with everything she says, but it is my choice to read her blog, I find it entertaining! It sounds as though you are personally involved. My suggestion is stop letting it bother you and find something else to do with your time that doesn't bother/anger/upset you. No one is forcing you to read this. Enjoy your Sunday! Good night

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nobody is 'husband material'. People are just people. You have to work together on being 'a good wife' and 'a good husband'. They are not hanging around out there waiting for divorcees to find them and make their lives picture perfect. I say work on the relationship that you have. Especially try get him into therapy - it's important for your kids' sake that you tried everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anonymous,

    Please see the 17th paragraph of my post where STBEH says that he wasn't willing to see a counselor. I tried and know in my heart of hearts that I did what I could to try and make it work. Not only for the sake of the kids, but for all of us.

    Thanks for your comment though.

    ReplyDelete