Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Raging storms

The Cape has been rather stormy over the last couple of days with reports that Sunday night's storm was in fact classified as a hurricane and yesterday afternoon it was haeling balls half the size of golf balls. I almost thought I was somewhere in the highveld!

I think my situation at Wisteria Lane is similar, however it would seem that we're in the eye of the storm.

The atmosphere is as tense as anything and we haven't exchanged a SINGLE WORD since last Friday, however I'm convinced that the storm will pick up again once the mediator gets involved and the winds will pick up again.

I recently got this little piece from The Headhunter and really want to share it as I found it so relevant:

A young wife sat on a sofa on a hot humid day, drinking iced tea and visiting with her mother. As they talked about life, about marriage, about the responsibilities of life and the obligations of adulthood, the mother clinked the ice cubes in her glass thoughtfully and turned a clear, sober glance upon her daughter..

'Don't forget your sisters,' she advised, swirling the tea leaves to the bottom of her glass. 'They'll be more important as you get older. No matter how much you love your husband, no matter how much you love the children you may have, you are still going to need sisters. Remember to go places with them now and then; do things with them.'

'Remember that 'sisters' means ALL the women... your girlfriends, your daughters, and al l your other women relatives too....... 'You'll need other women. Women always do.'

What a funny piece of advice!' the young woman thought. Haven't I just gotten married? Haven't I just joined the couple-world? I'm now a married woman, for goodness sake! A grownup! Surely my husband and the family we may start will be all I need to make my life worthwhile!'

But she listened to her mother. She kept contact with her sisters and made more women friends each year. As the years tumbled by, one after another, she gradually came to understand that her mother really knew what she was talking about. As time and nature work their changes and their mysteries upon a woman, sisters are the mainstays of her life..

This story continues about women always being there to support each other, but I'd like to take this a little further and include ALL friends. Real friends. Always surround yourself with people who have your best interests in life at hand as these are the people who will be there to support and bless your life when you most need it.

Thanks to all my 'sisters' who've been there for me during all this time. You know who you are!

Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment