Monday, October 26, 2009

Another week, another fight

I had such a lovely weekend. The kids and I stayed with Mom. We went to the beach on Saturday afternoon, had milkshakes at Spur and generally just had a lot of fun. On Sunday it was Mom's birthday and we all packed up off to The Farm. Mom had invited some of her friends and we had a lovely braai. The kids were playing in the pool for most of the afternoon and were totally bushed by the time we drove home.

The weekend didn't start off on the best of notes though. I'd been looking at schools for Prince Charming and over the last couple of weeks it became an option to send him to one of the local private schools. An excellent school with a British programme. Small classes and individual attention is at the forefront and the most advanced teaching techniques.

I'd spoken to EH about this a week before and explained that I might be able to get PC a place at this school. His first comment was how I was going to afford it and I'd assured him that this was not a concern of his as it wouldn't impact on him financially at all. In our settlement it was agreed that he'd pay me a monthly maintenance for the kids and from that I would be paying any school fees.

The decision wasn't with regards to any financial aspect, but rather just which school would be best for the kids (PC at this stage).

I'd submitted an application form to this private school as they generally have long waiting lists, in the hope that PC might get a place in the Reception class for next year.

Anyway, on Friday morning I had a phone call from the head mistress of the school informing me that they can indeed offer PC a place for next year and that they will put this in writing to me next week.

I subsequently sent EH an email to this effect. Asking him to take a look at the options, thus being the private school versus the local state school. I asked him to consider the benefits to the children and then to get back to me with his opinion and why he felt one school was better than the other, but that I was really keen on the private school.

The reason why I sent him the email was that I knew we wouldn't be home for the rest of the weekend to discuss, but I told him I'd be happy to discuss it on Sunday night upon my return. It would give him time to think about it logically. BIG mistake!!

Shortly after sending the email, I get a phone call from EH. He was fuming!! He was so very angry about this and proceeded to swear and shout at me about it. Five times I had to put the phone down on him because he was ranting and raving so much and I refuse to have any such conversations. I don't mind having a calm and rational discussion.

In the end he was just saying that PC should go to the state school. I think what annoyed him was my reasoning for how I was going to afford this. Ultimately that's not the point though and surely it's about the kids, but unfortunately he let his bruised ego take over and as per usual, it's about HIM and not the kids.

So, this morning I'm having to involve a mediator to try and work this out as I feel very strongly about giving the kids this opportunity to a top-class education. The fact that this school works on the UK schooling system, they write GCSE's, AS and A-level exams, coupled with the fact that the kids both have British passports, means that they'll have the world at their feet one day. It's just a pity that EH is being so difficult and that I actually have to go this way.

And thus another week begins with another fight. Wish me luck!

Madge

2 comments:

  1. i think u should tear up the British passports and bring ur children up to encourage them to stay in SA and contribute to this country,that is just fill of possibilities. Not create a platform to encourage them to go else where. but thats only my opinion. however if the education really is better there is no doubt that they must go to the better school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Anon. Not sure about tearing up the British passports though, but I'm most certainly encouraging everything that SA has to offer.

    Relocating here to bring up the kids in the sunshine and potentially being able to afford to send them to private schools all being reasons for this.

    My point here is more with regards to their education and ultimately the opportunities and head start they would have in life, which is undoubtedly beneficial. What they choose to do after school is ultimately their decision.

    ReplyDelete